Honduras San Pedro East Mission

Monday, November 14, 2016

Wowza! (Josh's description of this week)

Elder Gardner driving 

1st Baptism  Elder Guadarrama, Elder Gardner and Claudia Almendaraz
Another week! Long yet short. Amazing how the time flies. So we had zone conference last Tuesday with President Carlisle. Super good  about Tad McCalisters talk on being a consecrated missionary. Lots of things for me to work on, but I'll get there some day. Sister Carlisle made awesome cinammon rolls that made me miss American pastries haha.
So our area is super good, but also super big and we really need the help of the members but don't have it. Pretty much everyone lets you in to hear a message, but there's kind of 2 different types of investigators here. 1 those who let you in and listen, and maybe even come back, but they aren't interested in doing it, just hearing it. Weve been instructed not to teach them, just to make casual visits for a few reasons that I won't explain here. Kind of interesting though. And then 2, those who are interested and listen and do haha!
I've gotten a lot of comments this week about Trump and everything thats going on, usually when we're out on the street people will yell something after weve already walked past. Too scared to say it to my face, not like I would understand it anyways though haha! Some person was throwing stuff at us last noight, I think he was just a random drunk though so not a big deal.
I finished Jesus the Christ! such a good book. Looking forward to reading the New Testament now with the insights I've gained.
Oh this week we had the grossest thing for one of our lunches. Some kind of tail, and liver. You had to bend the tail around to get the meat out of it, it was super gross. The cheese here is also really gross and we usually get a big chunk  of it. Its super salty and bitter, and kind of tastes the way the dump smells. Im almost at the point where I can bear it but i miss american cheese for sure!
So we were on our way to an appointment when this guy yelled some cusswords and something about Trump at me. After our lesson,  we walked a few streets over to a little store. He shows up a few minutes later and is like wait you speak english right? I followed you over here! I'm drunk right now but I used to go with the Mormons in California! He wanted us to stop by his house sometime. We'll stop by later this week and see how that goes, it might be nice to vist with someone who speaks English for once! 
There's a crazy lady that lives here that usually throws rocks at the missionarys until they give her money. She was trying to get some money from me a few days ago  but we didnt have time to haggle with her haha. So I might get some rocks thrown at me next time we pass her.

I had my first baptism this week! Claudia Almendaraz. Its cool because her parents wouldnt let her talk to the missionaries until the week i arrived, and we gave her brother a blessing. He was in a pretty bad motorcycle accident and is still recovering but a lot better. ANyways it was awesome! I had the privlege of baptizing her and it was super cool, i dont know how to describe. There truly is no greater joy than bringing souls to christ!

So my area is pretty safe, except for the gang MS-13.Which if you know about them you know they are one of the most dangerous gangs in the us and mexico. Theres a few streets that we arent allowed in because of this but otherwise  its safer than pretty much the rest of honduras.
We had ward conference on sunday and the stake president talked about how we need to be active in the gospel , and not just active in the church. Super good, espiecally for the members of this ward.

Anyways its been a good week and looking forward to another good one.
Love
Elder Gardner

No comments:

Post a Comment