Honduras San Pedro East Mission

Monday, October 31, 2016

1st Week in Honduras

Elder Gardner and Elder Guadarrama

Out his window
Hello everybody,

It's been a good first week here. I'm in the Ocotillo area which has been described as the dump of San Pedro Sula and its pretty true. There's wild pigs and chickens and dogs everywhere. People just dump trash everywhere and then when the pile is too big or stinks too much they burn it, so there's always lots of smoke and things here. Its all dirt roads and lots of mountains around here so its pretty much hiking all day and trying to avoid animal waste in the streets. My companion is Elder Guadaurrama from Mexico! He's pretty cool and doing a good job of teaching me everything here. The people here are all really friendly  even though I don't know anything they are saying. The Spanish they speak here is different from what I learned and the older generation slurs all the words together so its hard to tell whats going on. I'm sure ill learn it fine though, just needs time. We eat lots of beans and rice here but the members feed us everyday so its good. I'm probably going to gain weight because I have been very full the whole time I've been here so far.

The people here live in concrete huts with tin roofing. Our house is the same, but a little nicer since we have a tile floor. Pretty crazy how everyone lives here. Our shower is just a pvc pipe that sticks out of the wall, and half the time we don't have water. Its pretty humid here and most of the time I'm just soaked in sweat. Supposedly this is the rainy season and it gets a lot hotter.
A lot of people here are less active because they don't like the bishop. We have plenty of people to teach because of this. We met a few people this week who seem interested so we will see how that goes. I invited one person to baptism and she accepted so as long as she comes to church  she should be ready in a few weeks.
Most people here  have a little store in the front of there house where they sell chips and candy and things for pretty cheap. There's a lot of evangelical churches, pretty much on every corner.
The people here don't have a lot, but you know that everyone has a massive stereo system and there's always loud music playing.
Anyways its been a good first week  and hopefully I start understanding what people are saying soon.
Avanza Su Verdad
Love Elder Gardner

The pics are of me and my companion and then just the view fro my window. I'll try to take more  this week.




On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 2:48 PM, Nicole Gardner <wesandnicole@hotmail.com> wrote:
Jarom:  Hey bruh is you still on?
Yes bruh! the internet stopped working so we had to go to a different place 

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to Honduras!! I remember having all the same first impressions, brings back lots of memories!! πŸ’™πŸ‡­πŸ‡³πŸ™πŸΌπŸ’™

    ReplyDelete